Child School Consultation

Why do child psychiatrist do school consultations?

Child Smiling. Child Psychiatric School Consultation

Our child psychiatric school consultations are done in our Princeton, NJ office for consultations for children struggling in school throughout New Jersey. There are multiple reasons that children can be struggling at school. A school consultation is a diagnostic evaluation that can be helpful in determining if your child qualifies for more supportive services and accommodations from school for their learning. Accommodation from the school can come in the form of such as implementation of an Individualized Educational Plan(IEP) or a 504 Educational Plan.

After the school consultation is completed, we can provide a report for the school with your child’s diagnosis and functional limitations to help you advocate better for your child. A school consultation can be helpful by helping identifying why your child is struggling in school (e.g ADHD, Anxiety, Depression). The diagnostic information from a school consultation can be helpful in getting the right IEP or 504 accommodations for your child from the school.

How do children qualify for an IEP plan in New Jersey?

There are 13 conditions eligible for an Individualized Education Plan under the Individuals with Education Act of 1973.

  • autism spectrum disorder
  • deaf-blindness
  • deafness
  • emotional disturbance(e.g Depression, Anxiety, Bipolar Disorder)
  • hearing impairment
  • intellectual disability
  • multiple disabilities
  • orthopedic impairment
  • other health impairment
  • specific learning disability(e.g ADHD)
  • speech or language impairment
  • traumatic brain injury
  • visual impairment, including blindness

Individualized Education Plan(IEP)

What is an Individualized Educational Plan(IEP) ?

An IEP is a legal document which defines how a student’s school will meet his or her specific educational needs which result from an eligible disability. The IEP contains goals and accommodations the school district will provide. The IEP was established as part of Individuals with Education Act of 1973 and is overseen by the U.S. Department of Education

An IEP is requiring student to be evaluated by a multi-disciplinary team. We can help in that assessment by helping provide a formal diagnosis for your child.

What is a 504 Plan?

A 504 Plan is used for students who may need academic supports such as extra time for tests, extra set of books at home, or extra study period or temporary support due to an accident, illness, or injury. The 504 plan was created under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and is overseen by the U.S. Office of Civil Rights.

What will be the difference between an IEP and a 504 Plan for my child?

A 504 plan doesn’t require the school to do a formal evaluation of the child. There is also no formal regular review process in a 504 plan for the parent and school to monitor the progress of the child together. An IEP is a legal document that requires assessment every 3 years. IEP plans are utilized when families and the school believe there is a great need for services for the child. The IEP allows for an official and formal process in which families can dispute services being received by their child.

What kind of accommodations can my child receive from the school?

Accommodations given are based on the specific diagnosis your child and the goals we are trying to achieve. For example, some students may have low test scores while others are having behavioral outbursts, both of which will require different types of accommodations. Below are some common accommodations based on the condition the child is struggling with:

Inattention Accommodations

  • Seating the child in quiet area
  • Allow extra time for child to complete work
  • Shorten assignments times and homework
  • Break long assignments into smaller parts
  • Give assignments one at a time to avoid overload

Behavioral Accommodations

  • Compliment good behavior of child with immediate feedback
  • Reinforce good behavior using teacher attention
  • Ignore small misbehaviors
  • Acknowledge positive behavior of nearby student
  • Closer supervision during transition times
  • Seat child near teacher
  • Set up behavior contract with child
  • Implementation behavior management system

Mood Accommodations

  • Review instructions individually to make sure student is comprehending directions
  • Have student take opportunities for leadership role in class
  • Conference often with parents
  • Send home news of child’s positive behavior
  • 1 on 1 time to talk with student alone
  • Encourage socialization with peers if child is shy or withdrawn
  • Provide anger manager training and coping strategies

Why should I get a school consultation for my child?

School consultations are helpful in determining what services your child needs to achieve their maximum potential. Schools are able to provide plans such as Individualized Education Plan(IEP) or 504 Plan to help students achieve their potential. A school consultation with a psychiatrist is a diagnostic evaluation that can help your child get crucial accommodations they may need to be successful in school. Additionally, we also conduct testing for Autism if needed.

If you have concerns about your child’s IEP and need additional help advocating for your child, Dr. Memon can help. He will work closely with you and the school to ensure your child gets what your child needs to thrive. 



For your child to get better accommodations from the school make an appointment contact us at 609-601-4161